Wednesday, April 23, 2014

That's Me.

The parable of the unforgiving debtor: a man is forgiven a debt of millions upon millions of dollars. But he can't forgive a fellow servant a debt of a few thousand bucks.

That's me.



Someone cuts me off in traffic. How dare they? (Such injustice!)

Someone is rude and arrogant towards me. Who do they think they are?!

I read of another Christian leader fallen into gross immorality. Disgusting. What a reproach to the name of Jesus - show them no mercy!

Then I read again the account of the crucifixion. Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers.

Once again I realize, I still don't get the gospel.

The person whose lack of repentance should concern me is my own, not that bad driver or rude church member or fallen pastor.

When the Spirit gently but firmly reminds me of the depth of my own heart's wickedness and the far deeper depth of God's forgiveness, how can I feel anything but compassion and mercy towards others?

God, don't let me be the unforgiving debtor.

No comments:

Post a Comment