Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Job: A Vision of God

The Word of God is inexhaustible!

Not too long ago, I had a chance to once again read through the book of Job. Though I had read it multiple times before (and even studied it for a class), God had something new to teach me: He wanted me to catch a renewed passion for worshiping Him.


It came towards the end of the book, in chapter 42.

For the majority of the book, Job and his friends had been talking a lot about God, about Man, about Job, about circumstances, about justice, about theology, about philosophy, about the problem of evil, etc.. And then, God shows up in a whirlwind and grills Job, and at the end of it all, the guy who had been so full of words is left speechless in a place of awe and repentance before the LORD.

It hit home to me, because recently I'd found myself studying God, and talking about God, and preaching and teaching about God, and reading about God. But I realized that what I'd been missing out on lately was genuine, from-the-heart worship.

Job's words echoed powerfully in my soul:
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
    things too wonderful for me, which I did not know...
I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
    but now my eye sees you;
therefore I despise myself,
    and repent in dust and ashes.
It's so easy to fall into a rut, isn't it? To talk about spiritual things and read about spiritual things and hear about spiritual things without ever pausing to simply focus our gaze on Him - to behold Him, to worship Him.

When we finally do that, it puts everything else in perspective (including the smallness of our little world).

My prayer for myself and for you is that God would give us eyes of faith to behold Him, and that we would center our minds and hearts on the object of our faith and not allow all the peripheral stuff to crowd our view of Him.

Why not take a few minutes to read Job 38 - 41? Behold the majesty of the Creator and let your soul be in awe of Him!

Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind...

No comments:

Post a Comment