Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Guidelines for Social Media

Have you ever posted something on social media that you later regretted? Maybe it was sarcastic, or inappropriate, or just plain mean. Or maybe it would have been okay to share if your best friends were the only ones who could see your feed, but it wasn't necessarily something you needed to share with the public.

I've been there. Quite recently, in fact. And afterwards I realized it was time to seriously think through some guidelines for social media.


These are some questions that I am going to use to evaluate the things I post on social media. I'm sharing them in the hopes that you might find them useful, too.

Before posting, ask yourself:
  1. Who might see this?
  2. What will this post/comment/status/tweet say about me? About my God?
  3. What is my motive for posting this - is it love? (If not love, then what?)
  4. Am I trying to make a point or make a difference?
  5. Will this post cause others to
  • rejoice in the Lord?
  • grow in their faith?
  • become a better person?
  • love others?
  • have a better day?
  • grow in their thinking?
or will it
  • hinder the worship of God?
  • discourage?
  • enrage?
  • divide?
  • lead to sin?
  • embarrass?

2 comments:

  1. Great guidelines. DO you mind if I share it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go right ahead! And thank you (and my friend Justin Elam) for challenging me to think about this.

      I had planned on writing this out a long time ago, but I never got around to it until the other day reminded me of the need.

      Delete